Something rich in nutrients likes calcium, potassium and iron with vitamin likes A and C, asparagus is the best meals to take in this hot summer. They are light in diet and could be complemented with any kind of meal. It is mainly available for the short time period during the spring season. However one can easily find them, now days in the super market. They could be grab in bunches, 15-18 asparagus in a bunch. It could be cooked in many different ways, the way you want them to be got cooked. They get cooked really fast, so be careful while cooking them, over cooking may result in an unappealing shade of green or could get mush.
While choosing the bunch of asparagus, always keep in mind that it should has bright green stalks and avoid if they are dry and shriveled. It would lack the fresh bite and crunchiness. You can go for picking us an asparagus, which is pencil thick or double the coat of thickness than a pencil. It is better for getting a thicker asparagus, so that you could peel the first layer of for the better taste. The asparagus can be cooked in varieties of ways, depending upon your taste. They could be served hot or cold both. Following are the methods in which these fresh and tasty materials can be cooked for a better meal.
The various methods of cooking asparagus are as follow:
1. Easy to Wash
As asparagus is mainly grown in sand, it is better to wash off these before you apply them for cooking. Otherwise it may have a leftover of sand particles upon them. So it is better to place them under running water for few moment, this would help in eradicating the sands which are left over in the cracks. The base tips of the asparagus is tough, thus it is better to remove them before you apply them for cooking. You can either break them through with your hands or could cut them down on the cutting board. Cut about 2 inches of length from the bottom, and for better taste it is advice that, asparagus first layer should be peeled off.
2. Blanching Asparagus
The most common adapted way for cooking asparagus. This method of cooking asparagus is generally served when it’s gets cold and served with salads. If you wish for serving the asparagus warm, skip the ice water running process. Here are some tips to blanch asparagus:
- Put boiling water pan and add salt as required per you taste and allow it to boil.
- Place the asparagus into the boiling pan, and allow them to boil for at least 3 minutes. Remember, the boiling time could vary depending up on the thickness of the asparagus.
- Pick up on asparagus from the pan, taste it for the oneness. It should be crispy not limp.
- If you wish for serving this cold, run the asparagus through the icy cold water. Depends upon the taste, how you want it for your meal.
3. Steam Asparagus – The best part of this way of cooking is that, it retains the nutrients and the crispy taste of the asparagus. One of the most considerable side dish for the quick meals. Loved by many, the steam asparagus could be cooked with the following steps –
- The saucepan is to be filled in about an inch of water in it and attach a steamer basket along with the pan. Heat the water in the pan to its boiling point.
- Mold the asparagus in such a shape so that it could fit in the pan easily.
- Place the asparagus into the steamer basket and allow them to get steamed for up to 7 minutes, so that they are bright green in color and the crisp texture is still there.
4. Boil Asparagus – Be careful about the spears, avoid getting them over cooked. They could become muff if you are cooking them for the first time. Perhaps it is one of the most easily and commonly used way for cooking them. Method for cooking boiling asparagus is as follow –
- Add up sufficient amount of water into the pan and salt as per your taste and allow them to boil.
- Place the asparagus spears into the boiling water. If they are too long to get fit in, you can cut them into halves for getting them placed easily into the pan. Cook them for about 5 minutes.
- You can also use microwave to get this dish ready, use a safe cooking bowl for microwave and place the asparagus into them and cook them on a full heating power for about 3 minutes. Afterwards allow them to stir and again cook for 3 minutes until it becomes tender to eat.
If you want to make your asparagus stir fry for your meal, the asparagus should be sliced into pieces and that should be done diagonally. The following steps would help you for a delicious asparagus –
- In a skillet, heat up oil or butter over a medium heat.
- Place the asparagus into the skillet and stir fry them, until it becomes tender. The cooking time would hardly take up your 10 minutes.
- You can also add some ingredients like carrots, onion, mushrooms and peppers for giving it a bit of extra smoothing taste.
- Season the asparagus with lemon juice or toss it with butter over the top. Serve with salt and pepper as per your taste.
6. Roasted Asparagus
This could make one of the delicious asparagus recipes to have, for your lunch and dinner. The method of roasting the asparagus in the oven is as follows –
- Place the asparagus into the baking sheet and layer them with olive oil. You can also toss the asparagus, so that the olive oil is completely mixed among the asparagus.
- Preheat the oven to about 400 degrees, before you are going to place the asparagus into the oven. Remember if the oven is not preheated, the asparagus would be steamed not roasted.
- Layer them up in a single line so that they get cooked correctly.
- Allow them to get cooked in oven for about 15 minutes, depending upon your taste, how you like them crispy. The indication of pulling them out of a oven is, when you see a bright green color and a blend of charred spots over the asparagus.
- This recipe is best served with boiled or poached eggs over the top.
Conclusion – Asparagus is best to eat in these hot summer days. They are light to eat and full of nutrients and vitamins. As only grown in spring season so, they could grow about 6 to 10 inches in length per day. A dish which could be cooked in various ways and could be enjoyed in every form, with proper serving method. Something which would keep you fit and healthy during these warm summer days.