Cabbage is one of the oldest known vegetables species. There is a story behind cabbage’s benefits which I want to share with you. A famous voyage named Captain Cook’s, many of crew members are suffering from gangrene then ship’s doctor decided to apply poultices of cabbage on their wounds it result heal their wounds in sort days. Have you ever thought why Chinese people look youthful for long period? And what’s the secret behind it?
The best answer for it, they consume cabbage in high amount in their different dishes. You can find cabbage is common in their different dishes. Leafy green vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, kale, sprouts, and broccoli etc. belong to Brassica family. These cabbages are consumed throughout world and you can find cultivation of cabbage world around.
Cabbage looks like globular in shape and they include compact layers of clusters of leaves around it. Various varieties of cabbage cultivated around the world like green, savoy, red and purple etc. Bok-choy is known by another name Chinese cabbage, it looks like cylindrical long shape they are compact with leaves and very popular in China. Generally, they use this species of cabbage as ingredients in their different dishes. Napa cabbage is also a member of Brassica family and it is popular as variety of Chinese vegetable.
It looks like oblong in shape, its head consisting of compact arrangement of light green leaves with white veins. But green cabbage is most popular among all varieties it is tightly packed with smooth green leaves and looks like globular in shape, it is also known by another name Dutch white. Red variety of cabbage is intensive than green cabbage but slightly mild sweet and peppery flavor. It consist more nutrition than green one variety and it is rarely found around world.
Cabbages are not only makes our vegetables tasty in taste but it also offers many nutrition value. They offers many health benefits by consuming it like- better treatment for constipation, obesity, jaundice, eye disorders, aging, stomach ulcers, eczema, scurvy, Alzheimer’s disease and skin disorders etc. consumption of cabbage is ideal for losing your weight because it low in fat & calories and high in fiber. A dark fresh green leafy cabbage is fully loaded with nutrition, it’s incredible!
Green leafy vegetables are well known for storehouse of phyto- chemicals like indole carbinol, lutein, sulforaphane, thiocyanates and isothiocyanates; this compound are also known as powerful antioxidants and helps to protect against colon, cancers and reduce bad cholesterol levels in our blood. When we select fresh cabbage, its best source of natural antioxidants and vitamins C. We know very well, vitamins C helps in body development and fight against several infections and pro inflammatory free radicals.
It also includes various minerals like potassium, iron, magnesium and manganese; they are very helpful in many ways like potassium is essential for us because they helps to control heart rate and blood pressure and they are important component of cell and body fluids.
Iron helpful in building of red blood cell in our body. They also boost our immune system and also good source of vitamin K, it has potential to cure Alzheimer’s disease but patients who suffering from thyroid problem, avoid consumption of cabbage because thyroid glands needed absorption of iodine.
Generally, cabbages are cultivated in winter season in adequate but you can catch it throughout year in every part of world. Storage of cabbage in correct manner can preserve its quality. Cabbage should be stored in cool, dry and dark places for its better quality, you may use refrigerator for keeping it for long periods.
It’s better to not store chopped cabbage it may led to loss of vitamins C. Green and red cabbage can be stored for approx. 1 week but savoy cabbages gets perishable in 3 to 4 days. Always select fresh cabbage to supermarket or from commercial vegetable grocery. Before buying observe carefully whether its head is tightly compact with leaves and bright green in color. Avoid those cabbages which seem like fluffy.
Try to select farm fresh cabbage because it contains high nutrition and you get supreme health benefits. Generally, spray of antacids, pesticides, are common in cabbages, therefore wash it in cold running water and soak it in saline water for 20 minutes to replace its impurities and again wash in water to make it favorable for making dish.
Basically, preparations of cabbage start with cleaning and cutting. Cutting is depends upon users desired choice. Cabbage can be eaten raw or cooked, raw i.e used in salads and burger. It can prepare by several different cooking methods like boiled, braised, stir fried, steamed, sautéed and micro waved.
Overcooked of cabbage results unpleasant smell, it results due presence of sulphur compound. Red cabbage turns a purple blue color when it cooks, it makes another veggies which cooks along with cabbage, it will acquires color of reddish. Add lemon or vinegar while cooking of red cabbage to prevent from discoloring. I am going to share some commonly used cooking method of cabbage.
Basic instructions for all methods at a glance:
- Select fresh farm land cabbage which is tightly compact with leaves and size of head should be big.
- Wash gently in running cold water then soak it in saline water for 20 to 25 minutes and again allow to wash in cold water it makes your cabbage completely free from impurities.
- If you bought cabbage earlier two or three days then remove discolored outer leaves and wash into cold water.
- Cut your cabbage crown lengthwise in half dimension and again cut it into equal quarter size.
- Cut and remove stem which is present in between your cabbage.
- Chop your cabbage with the help of kitchen knife or you may use mandolin.
Cooking method #1: Boiled cabbage
- Pour 200 ml of water into a saucepan.
- Place your shred cabbage into saucepan.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes approx. make sure that your cabbage should not overcook, to prevent from this circumstances you have to observe time to time.
- Add little black pepper and salt as per taste requires.
- If your shred cabbage looks just tender then you can sure about cooked cabbage.
- Finally, drain your cabbage from water with the help of slotted spoon.
- Serve it warm.
Cooking method #2: Steamed cabbage
- Add 1inches water into a saucepan.
- Bring to stove burner and heat it for 2 minutes.
- Arrange a steamer basket inside deep saucepan.
- Place shred or wedge cabbage into steamer basket.
- Cover saucepan with lid completely and allow cooking for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove lid from saucepan and drain your shred or wedge cabbage with the help of slotted spoon.
- Your steamed cabbage looks crispy-tender.
- Sprinkle some mixture of spices as your desire.
- Serve it warm.
Cooking method #3: Microwaved cabbage
- Make sure that your cabbage shred or wedge be dry as possible.
- Arrange cabbage shred or wedge on baking dish.
- Sprinkle little salt as per your taste.
- If you are cooking wedges cabbage, add 2 tablespoon water and microwave for 6 minutes.
- If you are cooking shredded cabbage, add ¼ cup of water for per 2 cups of cabbage shred and microwave for 5 minutes. In halftime of cooking stop your microwave and stir your cabbage shred with kitchen folk.
- Drain liquid and Sprinkle some mixture of vegetable spices as your desire.
- Serve it warm.
Cooking method #4 Stir Fried
- Heat non-sticky pan with adding 2 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Place your shred cabbage into pan, it should be dry.
- Fry on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle little iodized salt, black pepper, vinegar and mixture of vegetable spices.
- Make your volume of burner low and Stir it continuously with folk until your cabbage cooked.
- Your cooked cabbage looks crispy-tender.
- Serve it warm.
- When you cooking red cabbage, to prevent from its color add vinegar or lemon juice to boiled water.
- Cooked shred cabbage should be used in burger, pizza and sandwich instead of adding lettuce.
- If you are desire to make your home made salads colorful, may add red cabbage.
- If you are desire to taste next level, replace shred cabbage by wedge cabbage steamed till it becomes tender.
- Do not add additional acidic liquid for better taste. Maintain patience till your cabbage completely cooked.
- When cabbage is steamed completely, brush it with melted butter, toasted nuts and slice of onion for incredible taste.
- If you looking for additional taste fry cabbage with ginger, garlic, chopped onion and chilies.
- If you are a non vegetarian then you may fry your cabbage with chopped meat piece.
- It can be cooked in milk for 3 to 4 minutes and sprinkle salt and black pepper.
So, now I can guess you have understood the health benefits of cabbage in your daily diet. Get the benefits of green leafy vegetables and stay healthy throughout life.