Hey, here I am going to introduce some unique beneficial factors of kale. The “queen of greens” is another popular known name of kale. If you never tried kale yet, this is best time for kale. This super green leafy vegetable is completely loaded with maximum nutrition so, it is also known nutritious powerhouse. This is one of best healthiest green leafy vegetable in world; some of its compounds show medicinal properties. Even you cannot compare spinach with kale; it provides high nutrition than spinach. Kale belongs to cabbage family also you may say Brassica family. It is also type of cruciferous vegetables like- broccoli, collard, cabbage and cauliflower etc.
Green leaves of kale plant bestow an earthy flavor and maximum nutritional value for low calories than other vegetables around. Although, it is available throughout year in every part of world but widely available from middle of winter to beginning of spring season. In this period taste of kale similarly sweet than other seasonal kale. It is also popular due to containing of sulphur phytonutrients, it helps in health promoting. Kale grows easily in cold temperature, in this temperature kale leaves results sweet in taste than other.
Brassica oleracea is the scientific name of kale and they are found in various species like- curly kale, ornamental kale and dinosaur. All of these species are different in taste, appearance and texture than other. Leaves of kale may be green or purple in color and they can be found smooth or curly. The most common species is curly or by other name Scots kales; it looks deep green and curly leaves, its stem is fibrous and hard.
Ornamental species of kale cultivated recently than others species and it referred to salad savoy. Color of leaves either be purple, green or white in this species. Its texture looks tender and mellow flavor in taste. Dinosaur kale is common name of this species but it also known by other name cavolo nero or black cabbage. Its leaves looks bluish green in color and it has an embossed in texture. It is more delicious than curly species because it is slightly sweeter in taste.
Curly kale is significant crop during the time of ancient Roman. This species of kale become very popular vegetable and it is consumed in middle age by peasant. Both two species, Ornamental and dinosaur kale are more recent variety than curly. Dinosaur kale is discovered in the middle of 19 century in Italy. Casually, Dinosaur kale is used as decorative plant in gardens and lone. It was first commercially cultivated in California in 1980s.
Kales are very delicious in taste and it offers many health as well as medicinal benefits. Now-a-days it is widely used in green and many varieties of smoothies and salads; it makes smoothies delicious and nutritious. Kale has special characteristics it contains high fiber and low in calories and it has zero fat. It is good source of vitamin k, helpful in fighting against various kind of cancer, blood clotting and normal bone health and also valuable against Alzheimer’s disease.
Kale is best treatment for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, bone health, healthy skin and hair and cancer. It is rich source of different vitamins and minerals like high in vitamins A&C, Calcium, iron, potassium, manganese and powerful antioxidants. Iron is very essential for our body because it helps in formation of hemoglobin and several enzymes, cell growth, transportation of oxygen to various parts of our body and proper liver function.
Antioxidants reduced risk against different kind of cancer. Kale is best anti-inflammatory food; it helps to fight against arthritis and asthma. By eating kale in our diet it helps to reduce cholesterol level so it also best for cardiovascular support to our body. Fiber and sulphur are best for detoxifying our body and it keeps liver healthy and proper functioning.
Nothing better than Vitamins A for keeping our vision strong, healthy skin and protect against oral cavity cancers. Vitamins C boost our immune system and metabolism system for proper functioning of body. For your better knowledge, kale contains more calcium compare to milk and it most responsible for better development of bones.
For best selection of kale make sure that its leaves must be dark green in color and stem should be hardy moist. Best to store it in cool environment, we can store it in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Warm temperature makes your kale wilt and less in flavor. Always choose fresh smaller size because it is tenderer in texture and milder flavor comparison to larger size leaves and there is no sign of yellow, brown and small holes in leaves of kale.
Do not wash kale before placing in refrigerator it can cause perishable of leaves. Fresh kale contains much type of impurities like spray of antacids, pesticides, pest and different types of worms’ sticks on leaves, to prevent from these impurities wash it gently in cold running water before cooking and soak with salty water for 10 minutes, soaking with salty water makes your kale free from impurities and again wash in cold water.
Kale can be cooked in several method for making different cuisine of dish like it can even consumed raw by making salads, boil, sauté, slow-simmer kale, making kale chip sand soup etc.
Basic instruction at glance:
- Select fresh smaller size dark green leafy kale.
- Before buying makes sure of its leaves color’s sign, couldn’t be yellowish or brownish in color and no small hole present on leaves.
- Wash gently in running cold water.
- Before cooking, soak it in saline water and again wash in cool water it helps in removing impurities of kale leaves.
- Better to store in refrigerator to keep your kale leaves fresh for long time approx. 3 to 4 days.
- Pour 2 cup of purified water into saucepan.
- Bring it to heat on stove burner.
- Add little salt as per your taste.
- Add torn kale into boiled water.
- Cook it for 5 minutes until your kale becomes tender.
- Drain tender kale from saucepan.
- If it requires season with spices or black pepper.
- Serve it warm.
Total time: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Pour 2 tablespoon olive oil in saucepan.
- Bring saucepan to medium heat on stove burner.
- Add little ginger, garlic and chilies in saucepan.
- Add torn kale and cook in medium heat, cover with lid.
- Raise heat to high volume and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir it well until kale gets tender- crispy.
- If you desire, season with salt, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve it warm.
Slow simmer kale:
- Pour 3 tablespoon olive oil into deep saucepan.
- Add thin sliced onion, ginger, garlic and chilies into saucepan.
- Stir it till, ingredients get completely coated.
- Cook it for 3 to 4 minutes until ingredients get softened.
- Add 5 bunch kales.
- Place 3 quarts chicken broth, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 tsp sugar to make your kale delicious.
- Bring it to boiling on stove burner in medium heat for 8 minutes until kale starts wilt.
- After that we cover it with lid and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Season with little salt as per your taste required.
- Remove lid and drain.
- Serve it warm.
- Add 1inches water into a saucepan.
- Bring to stove burner and heat it for 2 minutes.
- Arrange a steamer basket inside deep saucepan.
- Place torn kale into steamer basket.
- Cover saucepan with lid completely and allow cooking for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove lid from saucepan and drain your torn kale with the help of slotted spoon.
- Your steamed kale looks crispy-tender.
- Sprinkle some mixture of spices as your desire.
- Serve it warm.
Making kale chips:
- Preheat your micro oven, till it reaches 300 degree F.
- Arrange 2 cups of torn kale on baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil completely and sprinkle ¼ tsp salt.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes until it gets crispy.
Raw kale salad:
Chopped kale like ribbons, little lemon juice, Salt and message it gently. It result glow green color of kale.
- 1 medium bunch of kale
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup ginger garlic paste
- Little salt required as per your taste
- Dry fruits
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbs. shredded basil
- Arrange kale in a deep bowl. Add the lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt. Massage the kale to soften for about two minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss it completely till it coated.
- Leave salad for 10 minutes to get softer before serving.
Conclusion: Consume more and more green leafy vegetable to stay healthy and free from different diseases. When you add green leafy vegetables in your diet it provides maximum nutrition to your body.