Vegetable Biryani is origin of Hydrabadi Dum biryani of South Indian food. Generally, Veg Biryani is prepared in three steps. In first step we cook Basmati rice with fragrant whole spices, in second step we cook vegetable with Indian spices and in last step we mix up rice, vegetable, spices and curd in pressure cooker and cook in slow process in light flame of stove. It may take about 35 minutes to completely cook for great flavor, aroma and texture. In the first phase you will feel that this vegetable biryani recipe consist of so many ingredients but don’t panic, it will take only 45 to 50 minutes to cook. Flavor, aroma and texture of dish will mind blowing.
Ingredients for vegetable biryani
- Basmati rice ½ cups
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1 potato chopped
- 1 black cardamoms
- ½ chopped cauliflower
- 2 chopped carrot
- ¼ cup chopped French beans
- ¼ cup fresh peas
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup curd
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon mixture of garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
Direction for cooking veg birayani
- Wash 1/2 cup Basmati rice 5 to 6 times with water and soak it for 20 minutes in water. After 20 minutes drain water from it.
- Pour 3 cup of water in non stick deep pan and boil it in moderate flame. When water gets boiled then add basmati rice,2 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamoms, 2 cloves, 2 small pieces of cinnamon and put salt as to taste. Boil it for 8 to 10 min.
- Put the rice in another deep pan and drain the excess water.
- Cut all the vegetable in small pieces.
- Add 3 teaspoon oil in deep non sticky pan in medium flame. Add 1 sliced onion, 2 green chilies, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Fry all this until it gets brown in color mainly onion.
- Put 1 chopped potato,1/2 chopped cauliflower and 2 chopped carrot and stir it for 4 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup chopped French beans 1/4 cup fresh peas and salt into it and stir it for 4 minutes.
- Put ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, turmeric and red chili powder. Stir and cook for minute.
- Add ½ cup curd, 2 table spoons coriander leaves and ½ cup of water into it.
- Mix all of these and cook for minute.
- We have to assemble a layer of rice at the bottom.
- After that we have to arrange that half cooked vegetables on rice. Splash half of left mixture of garam masala powder, coriander leaves and mint leaves over that.
- Over it arrange a layer of rice and cooked for 5 minutes in very low flame.
- Tips and variations:
- Vegetables should not be cut into very small pieces, it must be in lengthwise.
- Fry onion till gets brown in color because it gives flavor to your veg biryani.
- Do not cook rice over cook, rice grains must be separate.
- You may use dry fruits in veg biryani because it provides good texture and aroma.
Serve it hot.
How to serve: Serve veg biryani with curd raita, souces and papad etc. in lunch as well as dinner. It can be also packed in your lunch box with curd.